What is being holy all about? We are called to be holy. I have thought and thought about this thing of being holy for a very long time. I thought I didn’t have it, but I really wanted it.
God said, in the first verse of Leviticus 19, “Be holy, because I am holy!” He then goes on to tell us how to do that. I know Leviticus is not one of the modern Believer’s favorite books. It’s full of rules and customs and laws that are ancient, and, well we’re New Testament Believers, right?
I used a bit of sarcasm here because Jesus definitely had something to say about that. He said, “Don’t misunderstand why I have come—it isn’t to cancel the laws of Moses and the warnings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them and to make them all come true.” Matthew 5:17NLV
I hope you will take the time to read the whole chapter of Leviticus 19. It’s amazing! (Just click on the blue letters and it will take you to Bible Gateway.) There are so many answers to our culture’s questions about what God says about so many issues. When God said, “Be holy, because I am holy”, He didn’t just leave it at that. He went on to explain in the next verses how to do that. I picked out 10 that stood out to me. I’ve paraphrased some of them for you:
1. Worship God ONLY
2. Keep the Sabbath. God does not say worship on the Sabbath. He says rest on the Sabbath. The expectation here is we can and should worship every day. But since we work every day we need to rest so we have the energy to do our jobs effectively. God knew that so He said, do it.
3. Give your offering sacrificially. Remember the woman with the 2 mites. It was all she had so she gave all she had.
4. Obey His commandments. Yes, all 10 of them!
5. Do not use His Name for anything but worship. This OMG stuff is completely unacceptable to Him. When I hear it or see it the Spirit within me cringes.
6. Care for the needy. That’s why we have the admonition to leave the edges of the fields unharvested. It’s a really creative way to give to the needy. Those who need it can harvest it.
7. Be just. Don’t skew the law because of race, color, creed, wealth, age… or just because you want it your way.
8. Be loving and treat all with respect. I discovered early on, in my teaching career, that respecting my students made a huge difference in what they learned.
9. Do not lie! Can we please go back to just saying what is true? Political correctness and tolerance for everything and anything are way out of control.
10 Avoid hate, violence, and sexual immorality. We are living in a time where these sins are rampant. Stay away from all three!
So how do we ‘become’ holy? It really is a daily process. It doesn’t just happen when the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. There’s more to it. Holiness requires some thought and work. We are called, invited, and commanded to make holiness a part of our lives.
He created us in His image. He wants us to show the World who He is.
Blessings to you and yours!
Thank you for this much needed reminder that God calls all believers to be holy because he is holy. I love the way you detailed what this means. I think the hardest part is that God wants our holy behavior to be done from the heart. Praise the Lord for the power of the Holy Spirit within us!
Hi Patti! Thank you! Blessings and success to you as you continue to grow in His word and ways! Marie