While reading my Bible this morning I came across Samuel’s words to Saul when God displaced him on the throne for not obeying His command to destroy every Amalekite and all they had. The words of 1 Samuel 15:22-23 are powerful and convicting words for all of us.
22 But Samuel replied,
“What is more pleasing to the Lord:
your burnt offerings and sacrifices
or your obedience to his voice?
Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice,
and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.
23 Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft,
and stubbornness as bad as worshiping idols.
So because you have rejected the command of the Lord,
he has rejected you as king.”
- Listen gives me the picture of my mother holding my chin between her thumb and forefinger to give her my total attention.
- God is pleased with my obedience and submission
- Obedience is simply doing what is asked of you
- Submission is knowing that someone who truly loves you has your best interests at heart when asking for your compliance.
- Rebellion and stubbornness are sins we often don’t recognize because they are part of the culture we live in.
I am convicted and challenged by these words. Are you?
Blessings to you and yours!