Many years ago a former pastor gave me a piece of advice that I’ve kept in my mind and heart. When in doubt…DON’T! This four-word sentence has had a huge impact on my decision making. When I’m even the least bit uncomfortable with a choice I ponder it carefully. I question, will it have a positive or negative impact? Will it support or tear down? It’s amazing what an influence these four words have had on my life.
Here are a few more don’ts:
- DON’T judge people for the choices they make when you DON’T know the options they had to choose from.
- Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind DON’T matter and those who matter DON’T mind. ~ Dr. Seuss
- DON’T give up! Great things take time.
- DON’T talk about me until you have talked to me!
- DON’T do it!
How about these from the Word:
DON’T worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6
- DON’T panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. Isaiah 41:10 (MSG)
- Tell everyone who is discouraged, be strong and DON’T be afraid! God is coming to your rescue. Isaiah 35:4 (CEB)
- Let’s not get tired of doing good, because in time we’ll have a harvest if we DON’Tgive up. Galatians 6:9 (NLT)
- That is why we DON’T give up. Our physical body is becoming older and weaker, but our spirit inside us is made new every day. 2 Corinthians 4:16
Do you have a favorite quote or Bible verse about the word DON’T? I’d love to add them to my collection.
Blessings to you and yours!
Love this, Marie! It’s definitely one to remember!! Thanks so much!
Thanks, Deb! This advice has served me well for many years. Blessings to you and yours!
I loved this post!!! We often think of ‘Don’ts’ as ….bad…but all these ‘don’ts’ lead to good!! You asked for our favorite verse with a ‘Don’t” you already used mine- Philippians 4:6…that has been my go to verse (well including verse 7) since college- and has been something this is a “Don’t” which has kept me DOING all He wants me to do!! Following your blog!
Another verse I use when my mind is getting stuck in the ‘don’ts’ of life is Philippians 4:8. I repeat it over and over until my mind/thoughts are in a better place. Blessings to you and yours! Marie
Great advice, when in doubt, don’t. Following that advice would keep us from some bad decisions. Here is on my husband told me, “Don’t say yes because you are feeling guilt.” I’m following your blog, instagram and twitter
Your husband is right on target! Guilt has a way of getting us to do things we could easily leave to someone else. Marie
I love your lists of don’ts. And the scriptures you shared are great! Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you! I’m your neighbor at #CoffeeforYourHeart.
Thanks Gayl! Love having other Fiercehearted friends! Following you on Instagram and Twitter.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Followed you back. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Wow Marie, I said to myself this morning; “When in doubt…DON’T!” about something that was troubling me, I was not sure if I should or I shouldn’t proceed with a course of action, I said to God as I have done before; I will leave it in your hands to show me … You can imagine my Surprise when I read your Post, an answer for sure.
Below is a verse that He brings to me often and the Song that touches my Heart greatly.
Isaiah 43:1-3….. Fear not for I have redeemed thee I have called thee by thy Name thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters I will be with thee and through the rivers they shall not overflow thee, when thou walkest through the fire thou shalt not be burned neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am The LORD thy God, The Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour….. (KJV)
Christian Love Always – Anne.
That’s a great verse! I need to memorize and add it to my arsenal. Often, when I’m being fearful or persecuted I recite the verses I’ve memorized until my thoughts clear! Blessing to you! Marie