June is the month of weddings and I wanted to give a little advice. Here are my five thoughts on developing a long-lasting marriage.
- Don’t expect your spouse to be the same year after year. We all grow and change. I’ve been married to the same man for over 40 years. Neither of us is the same as we were then. It’s been rather fun to meet a new person, who shares my bed and house, every few years.
- Never stop talking, laughing and crying, together! Life is tough. There’s no way around that. Weathering the storms and celebrating the high points is all part of it.
- Always (!!!) support one another. Let no one say anything about your spouse that is demeaning, degrading or discrediting. Stand up for one another!
- Marriage is not a game! Scorekeeping is unacceptable. If you’re feeling that your spouse is not keeping up their end of the bargain. Tell them. Talk it out. None of us have billboards on our foreheads that tell the other what we’re thinking. Most of the time all you have to do is ask. Try it!
- Be kind, thoughtful, forgiving and loving. Long marriages sometimes evolve into taking advantage of the love you have for one another. We’re all going to do and say dumb things from time to time. Get over it and get on with it.
Here’s a then and now picture. Enjoy!
Blessings to you and yours!
Recently, this post was sent to me on my FB page. It is so true of our marriage and I hope of yours, too!
For all of you so eager to call it quits and throw in the towel on your relationships because everything isn’t “perfect”…here is some food for thought. Lifelong commitment is not what most people think it is. It’s not waking up every morning to make breakfast and eat together. It’s not cuddling in bed until both of you fall asleep, peacefully, at night. It’s not a clean home filled with laughter and lovemaking, every day. It’s someone who steals all the covers (and snores!). It’s slammed doors and a few harsh words, at times. It’s stubbornly disagreeing and giving each other the silent treatment until your hearts heal…and, then…FORGIVENESS! It’s coming home to the same person, every day, that you know LOVES and CARES about you in spite of (and because of) who you are. It’s laughing about the one time you accidentally did something stupid. It’s about dirty laundry and unmade beds WITHOUT finger pointing. It’s about helping each other with the hard work of life! It’s about swallowing the nagging words instead of saying them out loud. It’s about eating the cheapest and easiest meal you can make and sitting down together late to eat because you both had a crazy day. It’s when you have an emotional breakdown and your Love lays with you and holds you and tells you everything is going to be okay…and you BELIEVE them. It’s about still loving someone even though, sometimes, you make them absolutely insane. Living with the person you love is not perfect
…sometimes it’s hard, but it’s amazing and comforting and one of the BEST things you’ll ever experience!
(This article is from Hopewell Baptist Church page on Facebook.)
Tomarrow my husband Louis and I will be married for 25 years!
Linda Arceri https://about.me/linda.arceri
Happy Anniversary, Linda and Louis!